Drones are very popular today and are relatively inexpensive. Although they may be a great gift for children and adults alike, there are some legal requirements in order to fly these unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV). Besides the numerous Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rules and applicable Florida laws that must be followed, the DeFuniak Springs Police would like to advise Citizens of the City ordinance regarding drone use.
On May 23rd, 2016, the DeFuniak Springs City Council adopted an ordinance regarding Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or simply stated the “Drone Ordinance.” This ordinance was enacted to help protect the welfare of it residents as well as the City. Below is a summary of the provisions in regards to the ordinance:
- Owners of UAVs must comply with all FAA requirements to include notification of DeFuniak Springs Municipal Airport if flying within 5 miles of the airport.
- Must have property owner’s permission to fly a UAV between 0 and 500 feet on any privately owned property.
- Must have a Special Event Permit approved by the DeFuniak Springs City Council in order to fly a UAV on any public property within the city limits.
- Commercial users of UAVs must comply with special requirements as noted in ordinance to include notification of the Assistant City Manager and the DeFuniak Springs Police at least 4 hours prior to flight.
- Reckless, harassing, or annoying conduct in connection with a UAV is prohibited.
DeFuniak Springs Police want to inform the public so that everyone can enjoy drones while complying with the law. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DeFuniak Springs Police at 850-892-8513.#drone