This Memorial Day weekend is expected to bring many families out and on the road traveling. The DeFuniak Springs Police want to urge motorists to follow a few safety tips to help them arrive alive.
• Fluids and Brakes – Be sure vehicle fluids are adequate and brakes works properly.
• Tread and Pressure – Check tires for recommended pressure and tread wear.
• Buckle-Up – Use seatbelts and child restraints correctly for all passengers.
• Safe Speed – Drive at a safe speed that will allow for sufficient following distances between the vehicle in front (one car length for every 10 miles per hour or use the 2 second rule).
• Allow time – Trying to make up for lost time may encourage taking risks that cause a traffic crash.
• Report It – Reckless drivers or other safety hazards should be reported by calling the DeFuniak Springs Police at 892-8511 or call 911.
• Remain Calm – Road rage is common during times of heavy traffic. Drivers should not retaliate or provoke a careless or reckless driver – call 911 and stay at a safe distance.
• Don’t Drink and Drive – If alcohol is being consumed, plan on a designated driver or taxi.
DeFuniak Springs Police will be patrolling this weekend and looking for unsafe drivers. Following the above tips will help motorists stay safe and prevent unwanted encounters with law enforcement. Travelers can stay up to date on road conditions by dialing 511 from any phone, including cell phones or by visiting www.FL511.com .